Once someone is 18, they can get on housing waiting lists as an adult. Lists can be anywhere from 4 to 12 years long, so it makes sense to get on them as early as possible. If you feel that might be too soon, consider these points:
- Even after your family member gets housing, it may take five years for them to settle in and get all the kinks in supportive systems worked out.
- You will probably be heavily involved in that settling in process.
- How old are you at that point?
Don’t think your family member needs to be on a list? Check out our blog post (updated in 2022), “Section 8 and other housing subsidies (yes, this does apply to your family member)”.
To get started:
- Watch the “Applying for housing” webinar, part of our Housing Boot Camp.
- Click on “Other ways to apply for housing” at our partner website, 18? Section 8!, and follow along through all the sub-menus.
- If you need additional help with applications, consider tapping into our housing application assistance, one of the housing counseling services that is part of our Housing Boot Camp.